Congratulations!
You have successfully found Chick Lit Teens, a blog established in 2008 with the commitment to helping readers find new, enthralling titles in young adult fiction. If you are an old fan of the blog, please note the URL change to www.chicklitteens
.blogspot.com. If you are a new reader, then welcome! I hope you enjoy the plethora of reviews, interviews, and more waiting to be explore.

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Birthday Extravaganza: Cherry Cheva

Cherry Cheva (full name: Cherry Chevapravatdumrong) is the author of She's So Money and the soon to be released DupliKate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Describe Duplikate in five words or less.

Unexpected clone, then shenanigans!

In addition to writing YA, you also write for the TV show Family Guy. How has writing for TV influenced your writing?

It’s probably made me better at dialogue, because that’s what a majority of a TV script is, plus you get used to getting in and out of scenes as quickly as possible because you only have 22 minutes to tell a story. On the other hand, these habits can sometimes be counterproductive in novel-writing—for instance, my book editors are always telling me to add more description, and I get really foot-draggy about that because from TV I’m used to describing things in like two words and then moving onto the next joke.

What drew you to writing YA?

Happy coincidence! It actually didn’t occur to me that I was even writing a YA novel at first—in retrospect I have no idea why, because obviously the characters were in high school—but I guess I was just kind of clueless about books back then. But it turns out I LOVE IT...part of my brain is stuck in high school mode, for sure.

How would you describe your writing style?

“Much worse than John Green.” “Much less lucrative than Stephenie Meyer.” “Not nearly as funny as Seth Macfarlane.”

Duplikate is your second book, how has your writing style changed since She’s So Money?

Hmmm. I don’t think it has, actually, at least not in a way I’ve noticed.

Did you find writing your second book easier or harder?

HAAARDER! First of all, I had a much more badass deadline this time around, which is a technical issue, but still. Second of all, She’s So Money was—I mean, it wasn’t a story that happened to me, but with the main character being a Thai girl from Michigan whose parents own a restaurant, etc.—that made it more personal, which, coupled with it being my first book, made it just slightly more fun and exciting to write, which made it slightly less hard.

Which one of your characters do you relate to the most? Why?

Maya from She’s So Money, because she’s the only one actually based on me—mostly just the background facts, not really personality-wise, but I certainly have more in common with her than with any of my other characters.

If you could meet any character from any book, who would it be and why?

Any book?ANY BOOK? Oh my god. This is—okay, this is really hard. Um. I wanna say someone from Harry Potter just so I could watch ‘em do wacky magic stuff, but it’d have to be someone game for doing wacky magic stuff for no reason, so that is leading me towards one of the Weasley twins, but didn’t one of them die or get an ear cut off or something? Wow, and I thought I was a fan, and look at my terrible memory there. Yikes. Better answer: Garfield, because fat cats are awesome.

What’s one thing you can’t live without while writing?

The internet. It’s terrible. It actually PREVENTS me from doing work, but I want it all the time anyway, even though I know perfectly well I’ll get more done without it.

What’s next for you in terms of YA?

Hmmm, nothing I can report any concrete info about yet, but my next episode of Family Guy airs soon, and it’s about Stewie getting obsessed with Hannah Montana, and the Evil Monkey meeting the family.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the interview Cherry!

I have another chance for you to win, yes another! Cherry has donated a signed copy of Duplikate. Now, are you ready for the drill? Here's how you can enter to win DupliKate:

Leave a comment with your name and email by midnight EST on October 24!

Best of luck!

24 comments:

  1. Hi :)
    Thank you for the great interview with Cherry.
    Thanks to Cherry for sharing.
    I loved learning more about her.
    All the best,
    RKCharron
    xoxo
    PS - email's in Blogger Profile

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to be in the running, please - as far as I know, neither She's So Money nor Duplikate have sold Oz right, unforutnately :-(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Count me in!
    Thanks :)
    bookreviewsya[AT]yahoo[DOT]com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Count me in please!
    throuthehaze at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please sign me up for the giveaway!
    frazier757(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to be entered :)

    Erica
    thebookcellar@wi.rr.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool covers! Enter me please.

    MD
    mdfitz85[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great interview! I loved She's So Money and really want to read Duplikate(:

    Kelsey
    kelseythebookscout at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just read a great review of Duplikate and I really would like to read it.

    Kat

    tigerkat at bentonharborlibrary dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to play please! I hope this is international!

    lesly7ch(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  11. count me in please!
    marjoleinbookblog (at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds good, count me in! tWarner419@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great Post. Please count me in.

    cindyc725 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cool contest! Would love to win :-D
    -AMY
    addictedtobooks1993@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enter me please!

    Jo
    Email: joannestapley[at]googlemail[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Enter me, please!

    -Rylie
    bcanyon at hotmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great interview! I absolutely loved She's So Money, so I'm really looking forward to reading DupliKate!!

    sara
    sosarora_11(AT)hotmail(DOT)com

    ReplyDelete
  18. This book looks fantstic, I cant wait to read it!
    Also, great interview with Cherry. I was thoroughly entertained. :)

    -Dani.
    lightningstreak123@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  19. the two books seem very good.
    Cherry has a long last name. i wonder how you say that.

    really want to win the contest!!!

    Suzette

    soccer_chick.11(at)hotmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great giveaway. If this is open internationally, please enter me. Thanks.

    Alessandra
    outofblue1(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I cant wait to read this!!

    Jordan
    jmoose09@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. sounds neat too!

    kzingheim.gazette@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. love it.

    melissa
    nybaby925@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome, I'm dying to read this book!
    mwolf(at)tscpl(dot)org

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...